Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #21
JoeCanada
(Generic Colloquialism)

Send a message via AIM to JoeCanada
Re: Nintendo DS

I'll defend Nintendo as much as the next person, but I abhor Nintendo kiddies.

Much thanks for the reality check, Keith.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:50 AM   #22
Mad Maxx
Teh l33t Programmer

Send a message via AIM to Mad Maxx

Ok, from what I have seen on TV recently, Game Boy had competitors like the PSP a long time ago. That had bigger screen and was color and such, but battery life killed it. The sega hand held was supposed to be the best ever, but it need like 6 batteries every 4 hours or an AC adaptor. Not really portable than. And movies? That have already said that the battery will be like 2.5 hours while playing a movie. I just think PSP will have a hard time in getting through Nintendo's solid history of stomping through the hand held competetors. PSP will just be the first with a real shot at staying a while. I just don't like the idea of the disc. Easily bottoms out and get nice scratches from that. But I will get a PSP if it sticks. And I'll give the DS about a month before I try to get it.

MM
Mad Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:21 AM   #23
JoeCanada
(Generic Colloquialism)

Nobody does any research these days. =\

The PSP dics are in cartridges, similar to DVD-RAM discs, to prevent said scratches and surface anomalies. On top of that, they offer superior storage in terms of capacity and longevity.

Battery life will also not be an issue because, well, let's think for a minute. Battery technologies have come a long way since the last time Sega put out a portable system. Do you really think the PSP will run on AA alkaline batteries? Not a chance. I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about it, but I'm assuming they'll use some kind of lithium-ion or lithium-polymer solution, much like an iPod or PDA would.

Seriously folks, do your homework.
JoeCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:06 AM   #24
Keith
Full User

Send a message via AIM to Keith

No, Joe, Maxx is right. There's an estimated time of 2.5 hours for gaming/movies on the PSP, and 10 hours of music.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 04:29 AM   #25
MaskedPikachu
MP comes w/900000 maskes!

Posts: 106 MaskedPikachu is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont know how you guys like buying little batterys at high prices, but there is no was I will stand for 2.5 hours of gaming. I got the Sega Nomad (gensis handheld) and I had to get the car adapter in order to play it. With my income issues I need high battery life. There is no argument that Nintendo brings high battery life to the handhelds.

I saw DS on G4-Tech TV and they did notice its small buttons. Nintendo needs to get the buttons bigger for my (and many others) big hands and thumbs. Also, I hope they do better on the backlite. GBASPs light did shine better in the middle then the edges giving a very bad picture.
Old July 24th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #26
JoeCanada
(Generic Colloquialism)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
No, Joe, Maxx is right. There's an estimated time of 2.5 hours for gaming/movies on the PSP, and 10 hours of music.

It's estimated. If PDAs can get 4 hours of movie watching in with similar specifications, I wouldn't put it past Sony to pull it off. Couple that with the fact that many PDAs offer higher capacity (albeit at an additional cost) batteries that can double the life, Sony might look into that as well, seeing as they have plenty of experience with the Clie line.

Either way, having a rechargable lithium-ion/polymer battery beats the living hell out of having to use alkalines.
JoeCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #27
Keith
Full User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCanada
It's estimated. If PDAs can get 4 hours of movie watching in with similar specifications, I wouldn't put it past Sony to pull it off. Couple that with the fact that many PDAs offer higher capacity (albeit at an additional cost) batteries that can double the life, Sony might look into that as well, seeing as they have plenty of experience with the Clie line.

Either way, having a rechargable lithium-ion/polymer battery beats the living hell out of having to use alkalines.

It's not the movie watching that uses the batteries so much, it's the disc. PDAs use flash memory and the like, so that uses little battery, but the PSP has to continually spin the disc for games and movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Maxx
There is no argument that Nintendo brings high battery life to the handhelds.

Of course they do, but that's because they don't use a lot of battery intensive hardware. They could have made the DS back when the GBA came out, but it would've used batteries like Mary-Kate Olsen uses crack.

With gaming machines, it's not "Who can make the better hardware." it's "Who can make the better hardware with a better price." When Nintendo made the NES, they purposely used older parts so that it would be affordable. It's why PC games are so good looking, because people will spend so much money on parts.
Old July 25th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #28
Mad Maxx
Teh l33t Programmer

Send a message via AIM to Mad Maxx

Ok Joe, I thought that those cases were for carrying the disks, not the cartrige in which it stays. Just thought that they made it easier to carry than in a little box a la GB Player for GCN. Just one question, where does the laser go through the plastic?

MM
Mad Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #29
Keith
Full User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Maxx
Just one question, where does the laser go through the plastic?

MM

It's thin clear plastic that the laser can read through.
Old June 24th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #30
aloysiuscarl
Full User

Nintendo would be crazy if they missed out on the xmas market for the sake of a month or two im betting it will be out for xmas it just makes logical buisness sense.. The Nintendo DS family of portable game systems revolutionizes handheld gameplay. With two ultra bright screens, 3D graphics capability, touch-screen technology and wireless communication, you can challenge yourself or your friends anywhere, anytime.
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #31
TKdadude
Maker of Screenshots

Send a message via ICQ to TKdadude Send a message via AIM to TKdadude Send a message via MSN to TKdadude

Balls, the spambots are getting more accurate. Another few months and they might actually be worth talking to.
TKdadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 03:30 AM   #32
jamesdavid
Full User

Nintendo DS is a handheld game console developed and manufactured Nintendo.Not all 100 games are unique, some give some new twists, and solving puzzles, and open standards modes.The game for Nintendo DS includes speakers providing stereo sound virtual surround sound from both sides of the upper screen.
jamesdavid is offline   Reply With Quote